Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday, November 7

Finally, I ran. Sometimes it is hard to know if I am making excuses, or if I really have good reasons not to run.

Yesterday, I had the beginning of a sore throat, and was feeling tired and hungry all day. I drank Emergen-C all day, and sucked on losenges with vitamin C. I still intended to run. But the wind was blowing, and it was cold out. My right leg was feeling better, but I still felt a little soreness. I wondered if it would be wise to break the new shoes & orthotics in slowly, and skip the run.

I ended up going to the Mexican restaurant for a big, fat comfort-meal and a beer. I felt the sore throat go away during the meal. I don't know what it is, but American Mexican food at an affordable price is a cure for many ills. It is not that it is health food. But it's soft and mushy, and just enough spicy.

I read about running, in Marathon & Beyond magazine.

Then I went home and slept for 10 hours. I'm better now.

So today, I had only one student (a make-up lesson because of the funeral Wednesday). I rode the bus to the college, and ran home.

I did not take my Garmin, so I don't know precisely how far it was, but I do know it is a little over 5 miles. It took me 58 minutes.

Weather: forties, mostly sunny, blustery winds.
Listened to: nothing but my own thoughts.
Terrain: mostly paved shoulder of a state highway road.

The first mile, I felt a lot of impact in my legs, but it was both legs pretty much equally. By the end of the run, I felt it more in my right than my left, but not an alarming difference. I'm not trying to justify my excuse-making for not running yesterday (or maybe I am), but I think it was good I took some days off.

No comments: